Johns Hopkins University

The Johns Hopkins University opened Feb. 22, 1876, with the inauguration of its first president, Daniel Coit Gilman. Building from scratch, rather than taking over an existing institution, Gilman chose to create something entirely new, at least in the United States. He established a research university, dedicated to both advanced study and path-breaking research. The realization of Gilman's dream at Hopkins, and at other institutions that later attracted Hopkins-trained scholars, revolutionized higher education in America, leading to the research university system as it exists today.

Today Hopkins remains a leader, in both teaching and research. The School of Medicine is one of the best anywhere, and the School of Hygiene and Public Health is renowned for contributions to preventive medicine worldwide. The other divisions, though smaller--by design--than similar schools in other institutions, include eminent scholars and numerous highly ranked departments.

In all, the university has eight academic divisions. The Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the G.W.C Whiting School of Engineering and the School of Continuing Studies are based at the Homewood campus in northern Baltimore. The schools of Medicine, Hygiene and Public Health, and Nursing are in east Baltimore, sharing a campus with The Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Johns Hopkins has academic facilities in Nanjing, China, and in Bologna and Florence, Italy. It maintains a network of continuing education facilities throughout the Baltimore-Washington area, including centers in downtown Baltimore, in downtown Washington, and in Columbia and Montgomery County, Md.


Faculty Associates

Peter Eirich, Applied Physics Laboratory, 2002
Robert Hayes, Applied Physics Laboratory, 1997
Arthur Jeyes, Applied Physics Laboratory, 2001
William Kujawa, Applied Physics Laboratory, 1999

Last Updated November 27, 2007